How To Use A Jockey Wheel
Adelaide Trailer Hire Safe Towing Guide.
ALL INFORMATION GIVEN IN THIS DOCUMENT IS TO BE USED AS A GUIDE ONLY. IT IS THE HIRER’S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THEY HAVE THE REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE TO SAFELY TOW AND OPERATE THE TRAILERS OR EQUIPMENT.
Jockey wheels are used to raise and lower the trailer on or off the cars tow ball.
They are designed for raising and lowering only, not for manoeuvring the trailer around.
Jockey wheels should only be used with empty trailers as they are not designed for heavy loads.
- Inspect the jockey wheel prior to use to ensure it is in good working order.
- Wind the handle to raise and lower the trailer on and off of the tow ball.
- Pull the handle to swivel the jockey wheel.
- Swivel the jockey wheel 90 degrees.
- Ensure the jockey wheel is locked into place to avoid damage.
If the trailer will not disconnect from the coupling
If you are having trouble disconnecting the trailer from the tow ball, it is probably because the coupling was not released before raising the jockey wheel.
- Lower the jockey wheel until you can release the coupling handle.
- Keep the coupling handle open and raise the jockey wheel again.
Important jockey wheel information
- Never disconnect a trailer from the vehicle when fully loaded.
- The jockey wheel is designed to lift an empty trailer only.
- The jockey wheel is for raising and lowering the trailer only.
- The jockey wheel is not to be used for manoeuvring the trailer around.
Adelaide Trailer Hire’s Safe Towing Guide
Trailer Safe Towing Guides
Our trailer safety guides include: Before you tow, How to check your car’s tow rating, Connecting a trailer, Loading a trailer, Towing a trailer, Long distance towing, Manual handling, Standard trailer brakes, Electric trailer brakes, How to use a jockey wheel, Trailer ramp user guide, How to use a ratchet strap, Sack truck user guide, Legal overhang guide, Car trailer safety, Motorbike trailer safety guide, Tipper trailer safety guide and more.
All Hire Trailers
6×4 Box Trailers, 6×4 Caged Trailers, 7×5 Caged Trailers, 8×5 Box Trailers, 8×5 Caged Trailers, 8×6 Caged Trailers, 10×6 Caged Trailers, 8×5 Enclosed Trailers, Furniture Trailers, Motorbike Trailers, Hydraulic Tipper Trailers, Car Trailers, Flatbed Trailers and Trailer Equipment & Accessories.
Other Trailer Services
Adelaide Trailer Centre – North of Adelaide, South Australia
Adelaide Trailer Hire – South Australian Local & Interstate Trailer Rental Service.
Adelaide Trailer Shop – Quality Trailer Parts & Accessories.
Adelaide Trailer Repairs – Trailer & Caravan Servicing & Repairs.
SA Custom Trailers – New Custom & Commercial Trailer Sales.